Applying for HumanaOne Coverage
I'm leaving my current employer. Should I choose HumanaOne coverage instead of continuation coverage?
You can – but whether you should depends on your unique circumstances. For more guidance about your insurance options when you leave an employer, watch the video COBRA And How It Works.
I don't have health insurance now. If I apply for a HumanaOne plan, how soon can my coverage begin?
Applicants who have not had major medical coverage within 63 days of applying are required to choose an effective date 30 days to 45 days after the date of application. This doesn't apply to Short Term plans.
What information do I need to apply for a HumanaOne plan?
So that you can complete the application easily and completely, be sure you have the following information available for each person applying for coverage.
- Birth date
- Social Security Number
- Height/weight for each person
- Information on current and past health insurance plans (if applicable)
- Medical history, such as dates of diagnosis, treatment, dates of service, and current status
- Prescription drug information such as: drug names, dosages, and date initially prescribed.
- Physician/treatment facility contact information
- Payment information: For credit card payments, we accept Visa and MasterCard; for automatic bank withdrawal, please have your bank account number and bank routing number
Why do I need to provide information about my medical history?
Unlike group medical coverage, individual health insurance is based on a thorough review of your health history to determine if applicants are sufficiently healthy to qualify for coverage.
If an offer of coverage is extended, certain medical conditions may be excluded or an additional premium could be required. In addition, not everyone qualifies for individual health insurance. People who have been diagnosed with certain conditions may be denied coverage. Coverage may also be denied to individuals who are severely obese, severely underweight, or who are undergoing or awaiting the results of diagnostic tests, treatments, surgery, biopsies, or lab work. In addition, coverage cannot be provided to expectant parents (male or female) or children younger than two months old.
Using Your HumanaOne Plan
What should I do if I need to use my Humana benefits after my coverage begins but before I receive my Humana ID card?
To get a printable letter of coverage, use the Humana ID Card Viewer
Do I have to use in-network providers?
No. HumanaOne health plans are designed to give you the freedom to choose any doctor or hospital you prefer. However, if you choose a provider in the network, you'll be responsible for less of the cost.
What information will I receive to help me use my plan?
In addition to all the resources on MyHumana – your secure Website on Humana.com – you may receive the following:
- Monthly SmartSummary® statements that keep you posted on your healthcare spending and offer tips for saving money
- For some members, a phone call from a Humana nurse to find out if we can help with any special health needs
How do I choose whether to receive mail or e-mail communications from Humana?
You can change your communication preferences in the "My Profile" section of MyHumana, your secure Website.