How do I enroll in a Humana Medicare plan?
If you're enrolling in a Humana Medicare plan for the first time, you can find out more about our plans and enroll by visiting our plan-comparison Website, Humana-Medicare.com.
If you're renewing a Humana Medicare plan, see the "Renewing your Humana Medicare plan" section below.
What should I look at when I'm comparing Medicare plans?
In selecting a Medicare plan, it's important to consider not only current, but future costs. Each plan will use a combination of five cost-sharing types:
- Premium – The monthly cost to participate in a plan. When comparing plans, don't just look at the plan with the lowest premium. It's best to review total plan costs, including premiums, annual deductibles, copayments, and prescription drug coverage. You must continue to pay your Medicare-applicable premiums.
- Deductible – The amount you pay before the plan begins to pay.
- Copayments / Coinsurance – The amount you pay out-of-pocket for each prescription drug purchased, office visits, hospital stays, etc.
- Initial Coverage Limit – Drug Coverage Only – This is the total amount paid by you and your plan until total drug spending reaches a certain amount. After that, you enter the coverage gap.
- Coverage Gap – Drug Coverage Only – After you reach the initial limit, you enter the coverage gap. During this stage, you receive a discount on the plan’s cost for both generic and brand drugs. Your plan may also provide additional coverage while in the coverage gap. After drug spending reaches a certain amount, you enter the catastrophic coverage stage.
What can I expect after I enroll in a Humana Medicare Advantage plan or Prescription Drug Plan?
Here's what you should expect to receive soon after you enroll:
- A letter to let you know Humana received your application
- A letter confirming Medicare has approved your enrollment in our plan
- Your Humana ID card within 7 - 10 business days
- A payment coupon book if you chose that option
- A quick survey to help you get a "snapshot" of your overall health and help Humana understand your health needs
- A Member Benefit Package with more information about your Humana plan and valuable extras
- The Humana Guide, a guide book that helps you make the most of your Humana Medicare Advantage plan in five easy steps.
What should I do if I need to use my Humana benefits after my coverage begins but before I receive my Humana ID card?
You can take a copy of your temporary proof of membership to the healthcare provider. This could be:
- A receipt from your sales representative
- A copy of your enrollment form
Using your Humana Medicare plan
What information will I receive to help me use my plan?
In addition to all the resources on MyHumana – your secure Website on Humana.com – you may receive the following:
- Monthly SmartSummary® statements that keep you posted on your healthcare spending and offer tips for saving money
- If you request it, periodic calls and mail from your Humana agent to answer questions and keep you updated
- For some members, a phone call from a Humana nurse to find out if we can help with any special health needs
How do I choose whether to receive mail or e-mail communications from Humana?
You can change your communication preferences in the "My Profile" section of MyHumana.
Can a friend or family member talk to Humana about my benefits?
Yes, but first you'll need to send us a consent form. You can download the form and more information below. Once you allow access to your Humana plan details, your friend or family member can communicate with Humana:
- During a medical emergency or hospitalization
- To verify treatment coverage
- To check the status of a claim or to get help filing a claim
- Important Information about Allowing Access to Your Humana Plan Details
- (0.5 MB) Download PDF
- English | Spanish
Renewing your Humana Medicare plan
Do I need to do anything to renew my plan?
It depends on whether you want to keep your current plan or explore other options.
In the fall, Humana makes two booklets available that you can request that explain the benefits and services your current Humana plan will offer the following year:
- Summary of Benefits – This booklet provides basic information about your Medicare options and answers to common questions. It also highlights your Medicare Advantage plan benefits – and makes it easy to compare this plan with what you'd get with Original Medicare.
- Annual Notification of Change – This booklet describes any changes to your coverage for the following year. It also includes the Evidence of Coverage, a legal document that describes your plan benefits in detail. If your plan includes drug coverage, this document includes a Prescription Drug Guide, as well.
When you get these documents, be sure to read them. This is a good time to review how you used your plan this year. You also should think about whether your needs will change next year.
- If you want to keep this plan – You don't have to do anything; we'll renew your membership automatically.
- If you want to explore other Humana plans available in your area – Visit our plan-comparison Website, Humana-Medicare.com