ICD-10 Training Needs and Provider Checklist
CMS recommends the following training timelines:
- Provide intensive training no sooner than six to nine months prior to implementation for coders who will not assign ICD-10-CM/PCS codes until compliance date
- Provide 50 hours training to hospital inpatient coders (ICD-10-CM and ICD-10-PCS)
- Provide 16 hours training to other coders (ICD-10-CM only)
ICD-10 coding training will be integrated into the continuing education units (CEUs) that certified coders must take to maintain their credentials.
Specialists will want to look for specialty-specific ICD-10 training offered by societies and professional organizations.
ICD-10 resources and training materials will be available through CMS, professional associations and societies, and software and system vendors.
- Confirm that the following contacts are ready to provide the support needed to meet the compliance date:
- Billing service
- Practice management software vendor
- Identify ICD-9 touch points in systems and business processes
- Identify needs and resources, such as training, printing, etc.
- Determine if billing forms need to be updated