Category: Summer 2010
View All Articles
Seven Smart Tips for Summer Eye Safety
August 23, 2010
"A look at a few simple things you can do to help protect your eyes. "
As you head out this summer, make sure you give your eyes the TLC they need this time of year.
- Choose sunglasses that block 100 percent of the sun's UVA and UVB rays. And make sure your little ones have the same protection.
- If you're going to spend much time outdoors, wear a wide-brimmed hat and sunglasses.
- When you're using a tool such as mower, trimmer or drill, wear work-rated safety goggles. Anyone near you should, too.
- Play it safe. Wear the right mask, shield or goggles for the sport you're playing.
- Watch fireworks from a safe distance, and let the experts use them.
- Don't let the oil from plants like poison ivy get into your eyes.
- If pool chemicals burn your eyes, get out and rinse them with water. If they still hurt, see a doctor.