For most people, it is important to first determine if the doctor participates in your insurance plan. Next, consider factors about the doctor and their office, such as:
- Office hours
- Office locations
- Language(s) spoken
- Hospital affiliations
- Specialty/specialized medical training.
It may be helpful to find a doctor by asking family and friends for recommendations, or by searching online.
We can help
If you’re a Humana member, Physician Finder can help you search for doctors in your area by specialty, medical condition, the type of insurance you have and several other criteria.
Besides helping you find a doctor at home, Humana’s Physician Finder can also be beneficial if you need a doctor while traveling.
Go on a “doctor date”
Once you’ve found a new doctor, schedule an appointment and tell the doctor’s office you’re a new patient. Be sure to bring your insurance and health information because there will be forms to fill out.
It may take a visit to more than one doctor to find the physician you feel most comfortable with, or several visits with a doctor to develop the doctor-patient communication best for you.
Reflect on your visit
Evaluate your experience with the doctor by asking yourself the following questions:
- How was the doctor’s bedside manner? Was he or she in a rush? Did I feel like he or she was really listening to me?
- Does this doctor have experience working with patients with my health condition?
- Does the doctor’s philosophy regarding medicine align with my beliefs?
- Would I feel comfortable discussing sensitive topics, such as weight management, contraception, quitting smoking or other concerns with this doctor?