If you or a loved one experience flu symptoms such as a fever, cough or sore throat, visit your doctor or urgent care clinic right away. Get plenty of rest and take the following measures for recovery:
- Treat fever and cough with over-the-counter medicine. Your doctor may prescribe antiviral drugs to relieve your symptoms.
- Drink plenty of water and other clear liquids to prevent fluid loss (dehydration).
- Avoid direct contact with household members to help prevent others from getting sick.
To help prevent spreading the flu:
- Wash your hands regularly.
- Wipe down doorknobs, bedside tables, bathroom sinks, toilets, phones and toys.
- Clean bed linens and laundry with normal laundry soap, and dry on a hot setting. Be sure to hold all dirty laundry away from your face and body.