Heart-Healthy Chicago-Style Hot Dog
Spring training just got better with this healthier version of an American classic!
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, cut in half and then sliced into thin half-moon shapes
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 4 hot dogs (choose an all-natural, nitrite-free brand that is turkey, beef, or vegetarian)
- 4 whole wheat hot dog buns
- Yellow mustard
- 4 tomato slices, halved
- 4 dill pickle spears
- Sweet pickle relish
- Diced cucumber (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and bell pepper strips and cook, stirring frequently, until caramelized and tender, about 10 minutes. Set aside.
- Cook hot dogs according to package instructions.
- Open the buns, spread one side with mustard, and lay tomato slices on top.
- Place hot in the center; top evenly with the onion and bell pepper mixture, pickle, relish, and cucumber as desired.
Recipe courtesy of Meal Makeover Moms