May is National Physical Fitness & Sports Month
May is National Physical Fitness and Sports Month- see how rewarding getting active can be!
May is National Physical Fitness and Sports Month and a great time to make getting active, sports participation, and eating well part of your daily routine. Whether you ride your bike to work or join a softball league, fitness is a great way for the whole family to have fun while earning Vitality Points™.
Being active can give you quality time with friends and family while helping you combat high blood pressure, diabetes, and heart disease. Here are a few great ways to celebrate National Physical Fitness & Sports Month and earn Vitality Points while you’re at it!
- Verified Workouts: Warm weather is Mother Nature's personal invitation to get moving outdoors! Most of us spend the majority of our lives inside -- at home, work, or in the car. Connecting with nature can bring a relaxing balance to the rushed pace of our day-to-day. HumanaVitality® rewards you for a variety of activities that may help you see results.
- Wear a fitness device: wearing a pedometer helps you keep count of the number of steps you've taken, motivates you to move more and is a great way to earn 15 Vitality Points for each qualifying workout. If you prefer a Heart Rate Monitor, exercise at an average of 60% or greater of your maximum heart rate for a minimum of 30 minutes in a single workout session and earn 15 Vitality Points. HumanaVitality supports many compatible fitness devices, check out all the compatible devices and find the right device for you.
- Hit the Gym: Earn 15 Vitality Points for each day that you workout when you join a Partner Health Club. Simply swipe your card upon entering the facility to earn Vitality Points*. Gyms offer a wide range of equipment, classes and amenities that may be unavailable at home.
- Sports Leagues: Instead of walking or running, try a new sport this summer. Sports like softball, soccer, and tennis improve your coordination and agility, and are a great way to keep active while having fun with friends and family. Check out the approved team sports for earning Vitality Points. To claim Vitality Points, submit proof of your participation by sending a copy of the sports schedule or certificate of league participation, within 90 days of the league's completion date.**
- Athletic Events: Crossing the finish line at an athletic event is a great way to feel accomplished and to see, first-hand, how your training has paid off. Compete in a 5K, a bike race, or a triathlon, and discover more exciting ways to get healthy. Rack up Vitality Points for all of the athletic activities you compete in. Here's a breakdown for the three tiers of athletic events and what you earn for participating:
- Earn 250 Vitality Points
- 1.9 mi/3K – 5.6 mi/9K running, walking or cross-country skiing
- 6.2 mi/10K – 24.9 mi/40K cycling
- Super sprint triathlon
- Earn 350 Vitality Points
- > 5.6 mi/9K – 12.4 mi/20K running, walking or cross-country skiing
- > 24.9 mi/40K – 62 miles/99K cycling
- Sprint triathlon
- Earn 500 Vitality Points
- > 12.4 mi/20K running, walking or cross-country skiing
- > 62 mi/99K cycling
- Olympic, ITU, half or full triathlon
If it is unreasonably difficult due to a medical condition for you to achieve the standards for the rewards under the HumanaVitality program, please call the member service number on the back of your Member ID card and we will work with you to develop another way to qualify for the reward.
HumanaVitality is not an insurance product. This material is intended for informational use only and should not be construed as medical advice or used in place of consulting a licensed medical professional. You should consult with your doctor before making dietary changes or starting an exercise routine.