To support providers with caring for their Humana patients while promoting both patient and provider safety, we have updated our existing telehealth policy for the duration of the COVID-19 public health emergency (PHE). At a minimum, we will always follow Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) telehealth or
- Temporary expansion of telehealth service scope and reimbursement rules
- To ease systemic burdens arising from COVID-19, Humana is encouraging the use of telehealth services to care for its members. Please refer to CMS, state and plan coverage guidelines for additional information regarding services that can be delivered via telehealth.
- For dates of service beginning Jan. 1, 2021, Medicare Advantage members will not be responsible for paying copays, deductibles or coinsurance for in-network telehealth visits for primary care, urgent care and behavioral health. For specialty telehealth visits, please verify member plan benefits as any applicable member cost share would apply.
- From March 6, 2020 to Dec. 31, 2020, member cost-share was waived for telehealth visits with all participating/in-network providers. This applied to Humana Medicare Advantage, fully-insured group commercial, and some Humana self-insured group commercial members.
- Temporary expansion of telehealth channels
- Humana understands that not all telehealth visits will involve the use of both video and audio interactions. For providers or members who don’t have access to secure video systems, we will temporarily accept telephone (audio-only) visits. These visits can be submitted and reimbursed as telehealth visits.
- Please follow CMS or state-specific guidelines and bill as you would a standard telehealth visit.
- Further information on using mobile devices for telehealth can be found below.
Please refer to
Note: When the policy link is clicked, it will automatically download the policy. Due to the file size, this may take a moment to open on your computer.
With respect to these telehealth changes, note that all other coverage rules will continue to apply, and refer to applicable Humana policies for additional information.