ICD-10 coding training will be integrated into the continuing education units (CEUs) that certified coders must take to maintain their credentials.
Specialists will want to look for specialty-specific ICD-10 training offered by societies and professional organizations.
ICD-10 resources and training materials will be available through CMS, professional associations and societies, and software and system vendors.
CMS Tips to Prepare for the Transition to ICD-10
- Understand the impact that ICD-10 will have
- Establish a transition plan
- Identify current systems' touch points and work processes that use ICD-9 codes
- Perform an ICD-10 Gap Analysis
- Communicate with practice management system vendors about accommodations for ICD-10 codes
- Discuss implementation plans with all clearinghouses, billing services and payers to facilitate a smooth transition
- Talk with payers about how ICD-10 implementation might affect provider contracts
- Identify potential changes to work flow and business processes
- Assess staff training needs