How to make a claim payment inquiry
Please follow the process outlined below to make a claim payment inquiry:
- Call Humana’s provider call center at 800-457-4708.
- Record the reference number issued to you by the call center.
- If your issue is not resolved by the call center representative, you can ask for a supervisor.
- In some situations, the call center representative will route your issue to an internal team at Humana. If this occurs, you will receive a letter or updated explanation of remittance from the team that completes the additional review. Most inquiries receive a response in 30 to 45 days.
- After receiving our response, if you disagree with our determination and would like to dispute it, you may escalate your concern by sending a secure email to HumanaProviderServices@humana.com. Standard email is not secure and may expose information to unauthorized parties. If you do not have secure email capabilities, you can access our secure email portal at Humana.com/secure and enter the email address above.
Be sure to include the following in your message:
- The reference number(s) we provided previously
- The healthcare provider’s name and Tax ID Number
- The Humana member’s Humana ID number and the member’s relationship to the patient
- The date of service, claim number and name of the provider of the services
- The charge amount, actual payment amount, expected payment amount and your reasons for contesting our payment
- The email address or phone number we should use to send you our response
- Look for an “Acknowledgment of Submission” email with a tracking number within five business days of your submission. Please allow 30 to 45 days from the date of the acknowledgment notice for our response.
Claims payment inquiry guide
, PDF opens new window for claim payment inquiries, medical record requests, appeals and code-edit questions.
Claims processing edits
Access a schedule of changes planned for our claims payment systems.
Payment integrity and disputes
Find policies and procedures to learn how Humana ensures claims accuracy and handles payment discrepancies.
Reconsiderations and appeals
Access information about medical claim payment reconsiderations and member appeals for Humana participating and nonparticipating physicians, hospitals and other health care providers.