HumanaBeginnings® is a program that advises expectant mothers on how best to care for themselves during their pregnancy. Experienced, maternity-registered nurses provide education, support and guidance throughout pregnancy.
If a Humana-insured patient chooses to take advantage of the services offered through HumanaBeginnings, a personal maternity nurse conducts an initial health assessment by telephone. The nurse works with the patient via scheduled phone calls throughout her pregnancy to provide education and support, to facilitate services and to refer her to additional resources, as needed. The resources may include information about prenatal classes, support for breastfeeding, special consideration for multiple births and well-being support.
All expectant moms who enroll receive individualized support. Educational focuses include:
- Healthy habits during pregnancy
- Fetal development
- Changes to expect during each phase of pregnancy
- Importance of avoiding early delivery
- Preterm labor risk factors, prevention and symptoms
- What to expect during labor
Eligibility and cost
HumanaBeginnings is provided to eligible Humana members as part of their benefit package and at no additional cost. The program is offered to:
- Commercial and Medicare members
- Select administrative services only (ASO) and dual-eligible members
HumanaBeginnings is available in all markets, except Puerto Rico.
To enroll in the program, Humana-insured patients should call 888-847-9960, Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 6 p.m., Eastern time. For TTY dial 711. Patients also can enroll by:
- Signing into their Humana.com accounts
- Selecting "Health Programs" under "Coverage"
- Selecting “Pregnancy Programs”
- Clicking on the “Enroll today” button
Website users will be prompted to take a short assessment to start the enrollment process. A nurse will then call them to complete enrollment.
Patients who haven’t created a Humana.com account will need their member ID card to sign up.
For more information about HumanaBeginnings, call 888-847-9960, Monday – Thursday, 8 a.m. – 8 p.m., and Friday, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m., Eastern Time.
We encourage Humana-covered patients and their primary care physicians or obstetricians to notify Humana as early as possible about a pregnancy.