A new model of care
Healthcare is rapidly changing as the shift from fee-for-service to value-based care gains momentum. While this shift is a substantial change for many physicians and other healthcare professionals, the move to a value-based model and population health approach is imperative to improve the health of the U.S. population and reduce healthcare costs.
- Americans are getting sicker: Six in 10 Americans live with at least one chronic disease1
- Chronic conditions go unmanaged
- Only about 1 in 4 adults (24%) with hypertension have their condition under control.2
- 43 percent of people with diagnosed diabetes have poorly controlled blood sugar levels3
- Some 93 million U.S. adults 20 or older have high cholesterol.4
For physicians, a value-based care model recognizes their commitment to their patients' health and compensates them for the high-quality, complex care they deliver. This model of care combines the practice of proactive population medicine with an aligned payment structure—one that reimburses physicians for care that leads to better health and a better experience for their patients.
Value-based care at Humana means physicians and other healthcare professionals have access to sophisticated tools, capabilities and services designed to make population health management easier.
Humana has an extensive and growing value-based care presence. As of Sept. 30, 2020, Humana had more than 2.7 million individual Medicare Advantage and commercial members cared for by more than 67,000 primary care physicians in more than 1,000 value-based relationships across 43 states and Puerto Rico. Humana’s total Medicare Advantage membership is approximately 4.5 million members, which includes members affiliated with providers in value-based and standard Medicare Advantage settings.
Events and conferences
Across the country, our physician leaders exhibit at conferences and host speaking engagements about value-based care and population health. We join with outside physicians and industry leaders and share insights and expertise on the evolving healthcare climate. We will be at the following conferences in 2021:
- American Medical Group Association
- American College of Physicians
April 20 - May 1
- Healthcare Financial Management Association (HFMA)
- American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP) Family Medicine Experience
Sept. 28 - Oct. 2
- Medical Group Management Association (MGMA)
- “National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion,” Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, last accessed Oct. 29, 2020, , opens new window
- “High Blood Pressure Facts,” Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, last accessed Oct. 29, 2020, , opens new window
- “Type 2 Diabetes Detection and Management Among Insured Adults,” National Center for Biotechnology Information, last accessed Oct. 29, 2020, , opens new window
- “High Cholesterol Facts,” Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, last accessed Oct. 29, 2020, , opens new window
Contact your colleagues
Humana is here to support you and your practice. We have representatives available to help with administrative needs, and we have physician colleagues in your area to talk with you about value-based care.