Drug safetyHigh-risk medications
The medicine you take can interact with other drugs and even some foods and drinks. Drug interactions can make your medicine less effective, cause unexpected side effects or be harmful to your health.1
Prescription drugs can interact with:
- Other prescriptions
- Over-the-counter (OTC) medicines
- Vitamins and herbal supplements
- Foods and drinks
To help prevent drug interactions, know as much as you can about the drugs you take and communicate openly with your doctors and pharmacists.
How to avoid drug interactions
The following tips are helpful for avoiding dangerous drug interactions:
- Tell your doctor about all the medicines you take, including prescriptions, over-the-counter drugs, vitamins and herbal supplements, and any samples you may have from other doctors. To help you get started, fill out , opens new window, , opens new window, or , opens new window Humana members can create a digital list of medications by using RxMentor. Sign in to MyHumana to use the tool or download the RxMentor Mobile app.
- Ask your doctor what you need to avoid with your medication. Ask about food, beverages, dietary supplements and other drugs.2
- Ask questions at the pharmacy. The pharmacist can clarify your doctor's instructions and may offer additional information that could help you avoid a potentially dangerous drug interaction.
- Know all you can about the medications you take, including their brand and generic names, why you take them and any special instructions (for example, take with food or on an empty stomach).
- Keep medications in their original containers so you can easily identify them.3
Check for drug interactions
If you are taking multiple medicines or need to know if certain foods will interact with your medication, Humana Drug Information tool to check for interactions.
Always talk to your doctor first before making changes to your medication routine.
This material is provided for informational use only and should not be construed as medical advice or used in place of consulting a licensed medical professional. You should consult with your doctor to determine what is right for you.
Have a prescription to fill?
Order your prescriptions from Humana Pharmacy® and you'll receive your medications at home with free standard shipping! Get started with Humana Pharmacy.