Working for yourself means you run the whole show. Sales, finance, even selecting insurance is 100% your call.
Whether you’re shopping around for a new dental plan or just browsing, the following information can help you make the best choice for your needs.
There are many health and financial benefits to having dental insurance:
- Maintains oral health
- Improves overall health
- Saves money on expensive procedures
- Helps avoid dental issues later in life
- Peace of mind
Self-employed individuals have 2 ways to purchase dental insurance.
- Health plans that include dental insurance—Most health insurance companies that offer medical plans also offer other types of insurance, including dental and vision. You’ll likely only have to pay 1 monthly premium and you may get a discount for bundling plans.
- Stand-alone insurance—If your health insurance doesn’t include dental, or you want a different type of coverage than what’s offered, you can choose a stand-alone plan. Your premium for the dental plan will be paid separately from your health premium.
Some important factors to consider in selecting a dental plan include:
- Large network—The more dentists who are in the network, the better chance you will find 1 close to home and save money on services
- Multiple plan types—Several options available to fit different needs, including plans with coverage and discounts for teeth whitening, orthodontics, braces and dentures
- Affordable plans—Low-cost options available for every budget, with low premiums and reasonable copays on common preventive services; all include preventive services at no additional cost to you
- Easy online tools—Search for plans, get quotes and find dentists near you
- Free information—Expert agents and educational articles help you better understand how dental insurance works and how to select the best plan for your needs
If you’re self-employed and need dental insurance, Humana can help. We offer a broad range of dental plans with varying levels of coverage, many with low monthly premiums. Some of our plans also feature no waiting periods, which means you could get covered in about 5 days. To see plans and prices in your area, check out our Humana Insurance Company dental insurance page.