What do I need to know about Medicare Supplement insurance plans?
Here are some basics on Medicare Supplement insurance plans:
- You're still in the Medicare program - When you purchase Medicare Supplement insurance, you don't replace or cancel your Medicare Parts A and B membership. You have all your Medicare rights and protections.
- Plans are standardized - The benefits from plan to plan are the same from every insurance company (some companies may offer innovative benefits) - so a Plan C from one company has the same medical coverage as a Plan C from any other. The difference is in the company, the quality of service, and the price. These features are what make Humana Medicare Supplement plans stand out from the rest.
Is prescription drug coverage included?
Medicare Supplement insurance plans sold after 2006 don't include coverage for prescription drugs. You can always consider a Humana Medicare (Part D) prescription drug plan. Explore Humana's Medicare Part D prescription drug plans.
When is the best time to buy a Medicare Supplement insurance plan?
The best time to buy is during your Medicare Supplement Open Enrollment Period. Your Medicare Supplement Open Enrollment Period lasts for six months. It starts on the first day of the month in which you are:
- Age 65 or older and,
- Enrolled in Medicare Part B
Once your six-month Medicare Supplement Open Enrollment Period starts, it can't be changed. However, in some situations, you have the right to buy a Medicare Supplement policy outside of your Medicare Supplement Open Enrollment Period. In some states these plans may be available to those under age 65. For those applying for a Medicare Supplement policy prior to age 65, your Medicare Supplement Open Enrollment Period begins on the first day you’re enrolled in Medicare Part B.
NOTE: You can send your application for Medicare Supplement insurance before your Medicare Supplement Open Enrollment Period starts. If you have coverage that will end when you turn age 65, sending your application before open enrollment allows you to have continuous coverage without any breaks.
What are the requirements for Medicare Supplement plan eligibility?
Find a Plan In Your Area
You can apply for a Medicare Supplement plan insurance policy if you are:
- A resident of a state where the policy is offered
- Enrolled in Medicare Parts A and B
- Age 65 or over or, in some states, under age 65 with a disability and/or end stage renal disease (plan offerings and eligibility vary by state).
Plus, you may qualify for guaranteed issue into a Medicare Supplement plan, regardless of your medical history, if you meet certain criteria such as applying during your Medicare Supplement Open Enrollment Period. Rules in some states may vary.
NOTE: Offerings may vary by state. Medicare Supplement plans are not managed care.