A lower premium for less coverage, but out-of-pocket maximums limit the amount you may have to pay each year
Plans K and L offer the same basic benefits as other Medicare Supplement insurance plans, all with a lower monthly premium. In exchange for a lower premium, these cost-sharing plans cover less of the coinsurance and copayments than other Medicare Supplement insurance plans, but you’ll have the added security of a maximum out-of-pocket cost each year.
Medicare Supplement Plan K
Medicare Supplement Plan K covers services similar to other Medicare Supplement insurance policies, but instead of paying all your costs, the plan pays a percentage. If you have a serious illness or injury, you have the protection of an out-of-pocket annual limit. Once you reach this "cap" on your out-of-pocket costs, the plan pays 100% of Medicare-approved costs for the rest of the year. This plan is a good option if you prefer a lower premium but still want a fair amount of coverage for a wide variety of services.
In general, Plan K offers a lower monthly premium than Plan L, but offers higher coinsurance amounts and a higher annual out-of-pocket limit.
Medicare Supplement Plan L
This plan is similar to Plan K, except it covers a higher percentage of your costs, offers a lower annual out-of-pocket amount and out-of-pocket limit, and has a slightly higher monthly premium.
Medicare Supplement Plan K coverage provides:
- 100% coverage for Part A hospitalization coinsurance plus coverage for 365 days after Medicare benefits end
- 50% Hospice coverage for Part A coinsurance
- 50% of Medicare-eligible expenses for the first three pints of blood
- 50% Part B coinsurance, except for preventive care services, which are covered 100%
In addition to these basic benefits, Plan K also provides coverage for:
- 50% coverage for Skilled Nursing Facility coinsurance
- 50% coverage for your Medicare Part A deductibles
- $5240 out-of-pocket annual limit (the out-of-pocket annual limit will increase each year for inflation)
Medicare Supplement Plan L coverage provides:
- 100% coverage for Part A hospitalization coinsurance, plus coverage for 365 days after Medicare benefits end
- 75% Hospice coverage for Part A coinsurance
- 75% of Medicare-eligible expenses for the first three pints of blood
- 75% Part B coinsurance, except for preventive care services, which are covered 100%
In addition to the basic benefits, Plan L also provides coverage for:
- 75% coverage for skilled nursing facility coinsurance
- 75% coverage for your Medicare Part A deductibles
- $2620 out-of-pocket annual limit (the out-of-pocket annual limit will increase each year for inflation)
Humana Medicare Supplement Insurance plans1This helpful chart makes it easy to compare plans
2Humana also offers a High Deductible Plan F in your area.
The purpose of this communication is the solicitation of insurance. Contact will be made by an insurance agent/producer or insurance company.
Medicare Supplement insurance is available to those age 65 and older enrolled in Medicare Parts A and B and in some states to those under age 65 eligible for Medicare due to disability or End Stage Renal disease.
Medicare Supplement insurance plans are not connected with or endorsed by the U.S. government or the federal Medicare program.
Coverage may be limited to Medicare-eligible expenses. Benefits vary by insurance plan and the premium will vary with the amount of benefits selected. Depending on the insurance plan chosen, you may be responsible for deductibles and coinsurance before benefits are payable. These policies have exclusions and limitations; please call your agent/producer or Humana for complete details of coverage and costs.
How can we help?
Licensed Humana sales agents are available Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 8 p.m. at
Meet with us
Our licensed Humana sales agents are available to help you select the coverage that best meets your needs.