Yes, Original Medicare helps cover some services for inpatient rehab and physical therapy. Part A (Hospital Insurance) helps cover any medically necessary care you get and Part B (Medical Insurance) helps cover doctors’ services.
To be eligible, your doctor must certify that you have a medical condition that needs intensive rehabilitation. You must also require continued medical supervision and coordinated care from your doctors and therapists.
Your 2023 costs for each benefit period are:
- Days 1–60: $1,600 deductible*
- Days 61–90: $400 coinsurance each day
- Days 91 and beyond: $800 coinsurance per each “lifetime reserve day” after day 90 for each benefit period (up to 60 days over your lifetime)
- Each day after the lifetime reserve days: all costs
*You don’t have to pay a deductible for care in an inpatient rehabilitation facility if you already paid a deductible for care in a prior hospitalization in the same benefit period.
What Original Medicare helps cover:
- Rehabilitation services, including physical therapy, occupational therapy and speech-language pathology
- A semi-private room
- Nursing services
- Other hospital services and supplies