Skip to main content

South Carolina Medicaid: Behavioral health support

When you or your family members need a place to turn for mental health and/or substance use issues, our behavioral health services can help. As your healthcare partner, we want to make sure you get the care you need to be healthy, so you can focus on the days ahead.
Family plays with a ball on outside porch

Behavioral health

From time to time, you may need to speak to a therapist or counselor if you:

  • Always feel sad
  • Do not feel like eating
  • Do not want to do the things that you used to enjoy
  • Feel helpless and worried during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic
  • Feel worthless
  • Have parenting concerns
  • Have substance abuse (e.g., alcohol and/or drugs) problems
  • Have trouble in your marriage
  • Have trouble sleeping

As a Humana Healthy Horizons™ in South Carolina member you can:

  • Access many different types of behavioral health services that can help with issues you may face
  • Call a behavioral health provider for an appointment
  • Access help 24/7 via the Healthy Connections Crisis Hotline at 833-364-2274 (TTY: 711)

To connect with us:

Prior Authorization

You may need to get approval before getting any of the above screenings and diagnostic testing services. This pre-approval is called prior authorization.

To learn more about prior authorization:

  • Refer to your Member Handbook
  • Call Member Services at 866-432-0001 (TTY: 711), Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 8 p.m., Eastern time

You, your authorized representative, or a provider can submit a prior authorization request on your behalf.

Behavioral health services providers

Whether you are coping with everyday stress, relationship challenges, a child’s health needs, a substance use disorder, or mental health issue, you can access:

  • Behavioral health services
  • Care that may make a measurable difference in your life
  • Providers who focus on core principles of treatment and recovery

Visit our online Find a Doctor service to look for in-network providers in your area who offer behavioral health services.

If you are thinking about hurting yourself or someone else:

  • Call 911
  • Go the nearest emergency room or crisis stabilization center, even if out of our service area

If you get emergency care outside of our service area, we will make plans to transfer you to a hospital or provider in our plan’s network once you are stable.

Once you are in a safe place:

  • Call your primary care provider (PCP) if you can
  • Follow up with your PCP within 24-48 hours

Looking for help?

Contact Us

If you have questions, find the number you need to get help and support.

Find a doctor

Find a doctor, hospital, or pharmacy.

Documents & forms

Find the documents & forms you need, including your Member Handbook.