Skip to main content

Transportation services

We cover transportation for our enrollees:

  • During emergencies
  • Who need nonemergency, non-ambulatory stretcher services

If you have a medical emergency, call 911.

You must get prior authorization for nonemergency ambulance or stretcher services. If you believe you need access to nonemergency ambulance or stretcher services, call Enrollee Services at 800-444-9137 (TTY: 711), Monday – Friday, 7 a.m. – 7 p.m., Eastern time.

Caregiver helps woman into car

Non-emergency transportation services

We do not cover transportation you may need for nonemergency medical care.

Kentucky Medicaid may pay for transportation you need for nonemergency medical care. Although Kentucky Medicaid must cover the medical care you need, it also may cover transportation for nonemergency medical care, depending on the circumstances.

Each county in Kentucky has a transportation broker. You only can use the transportation broker for a ride if you can’t use your own car or don’t have one.

If you can’t use your car, you have to get a note for the transportation broker that explains why you can’t use your car. If you need a ride from a transportation broker and you or someone in your household has a car, you can:

  • Get a doctor’s note that says you can’t drive
  • Get a note from your mechanic if your car doesn’t run
  • Get a note from the boss or school official, if your car is needed for someone else’s work or school
  • Get a copy of the registration, if your car is junked

Please note: Kentucky Medicaid doesn’t cover rides to pick up prescriptions.

If you need a ride, you can talk to the transportation broker in your county to schedule a trip.

You can get a list of transportation brokers and their contact information from the Kentucky Cabinet for Health and Family services online, opens new window or by calling 800-635-2570.

For more information about transportation services, call the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet at 888-941-7433, Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., Eastern time, and Saturday, 8 a.m. – 1 p.m., Eastern time. If you need a ride, you have to call 72 hours before the time that you need the ride. If you have to cancel an appointment, call your broker as soon as possible to cancel the ride.

You should always try to go to a medical facility that is close to you. If you need medical care from someone outside your service area, you have to get a note from your primary care physician. The note has to say why it is important for you to travel outside your area. (Your area is your county and the counties next to it.)

Looking for help?

Contact us

If you have questions, find the number you need to get help and support.

Find a doctor

Find a doctor, hospital or pharmacy.

Documents & forms

Find the documents and forms you need, including your Enrollee Handbook.