Medicare costsPlanning for 6 Medicare costs you may have overlooked
Don’t be frightened by the numbers. You have options.
One of the first things you probably want to know when considering a Medicare plan is what it covers. That makes perfect sense, but it’s important to know what Medicare doesn’t cover, as well. Those numbers can add up.
For example, you might be surprised to learn that Original Medicare offers limited coverage for most dental, vision and hearing services. So if a dental visit for a toothache turns into a $1,000 bill for a root canal, you’ll pay that out of pocket.
And the next time you really can’t find your glasses? Yep, you’ll be paying out-of-pocket for a new pair.
Add to that out-of-pocket costs for plan copays, deductibles and monthly premiums and you might start feeling the pinch. And that’s if you’re generally healthy.
An unexpected illness or injury requiring a hospital stay can send those numbers through the roof.
- $1,364 deductible for each benefit period*
- Days 1–60: $0 coinsurance for each benefit period
- Days 61–90: $341 coinsurance per day of each benefit period
- Days 91 and beyond: $682 coinsurance per each "lifetime reserve day" for each benefit period (up to 60 days over your lifetime)
- Beyond lifetime reserve days: all costs
Part D premiums, deductibles and copays vary by plan
There is a monthly premium for these plans. Medicare Supplement plans help pay some of the healthcare costs that Original Medicare doesn't cover, like copayments, coinsurance, and deductibles. They generally don't cover long-term care, vision or dental care, hearing aids, eyeglasses, or private-duty nursing. See costs for our Medicare Supplemental plans
There is a monthly premium for these plans.
Part C premiums, deductibles and copays vary by plan.
All Medicare Advantage plans offer an annual maximum out-of-pocket limit.
The security of an annual limit on out-of-pocket costs
One of the benefits of enrolling in a Medicare Advantage plan is that there are annual limits on your out-of-pocket spending.
Consider the alternative. Medicare’s website shares these average annual out-of-pocket cost estimates for Original Medicare members with chronic conditions or unexpected illnesses:2
- The average annual out-of-pocket costs for a typical person with diabetes can reach $10,800
- The average annual out-of-pocket costs for a typical person with congestive heart failure is over $12,000
- The average annual out-of-pocket costs for a typical person who has a heart attack also exceeds $12,000
Imagine the security of having the Medicare Advantage annual maximum out-of-pocket limit working for you.
A Journal of the American Medical Association Oncology study published in 2016 looked at the out-of-pocket costs Medicare beneficiaries diagnosed with cancer between 2002 and 2012 spent.
- The study found that those in a Medicare Advantage health maintenance organization (HMO) plan on average spent $5,976 a year out of pocket for healthcare.
- Those with traditional Medicare and no Medicare Supplemental insurance on average spent $8,115 a year out of pocket for healthcare.3
What could you do with that extra money?
Healthcare expenses will continue to increase and out-of-pocket spending today could take an even larger bite out of your retirement savings. Think about how the numbers we’ve shared here may play out in your retirement so you can choose your Medicare plan with confidence.
- “2019 Medicare Parts A & B Premiums and Deductibles,” , opens new window
- “Medicare Advantage premiums continue to decline while plan choices and benefits increase in 2019,” CMS.gov, last accessed April, 2019, , opens new window
- “Out-of-Pocket Spending and Financial Burden Among Medicare Beneficiaries With Cancer,” Amol K. Narang, MD; Lauren Hersch Nicholas, PhD, MPP, JAMA Oncology, last accessed April 2019, , PDF opens new window
Call a licensed Humana sales agent
1 - 888 - 204 - 4062 (TTY: 711)
Humana answers your Medicare questions
Medicare costsPaying for Medicare health plans, after retirement
Medicare coverageDoes Medicare cover dental care?
More about Medicare
How can we help?
Licensed Humana sales agents are available Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 8 p.m. Eastern time
1-888-371-9538 (TTY: 711)
See plans in your area
Enter your ZIP code below to see plans with their premiums, copays, and participating doctors and pharmacies.
Meet with us
Our licensed Humana sales agents are available to help you review your options, so you can select the coverage that best meets your needs.