When your life changes, you can change your insurance plan too

If you move or your family size changes, your insurance needs may change too. That’s why certain life events might mean that you can purchase or change insurance outside of the normal open enrollment period. This “special enrollment period” happens if you experience any of these life events.

Events in your life that may qualify you for a Special Enrollment Period

  • Getting married
  • Having a baby
  • Adopting a child or a child placed with you for adoption or foster care
  • Losing other health coverage
  • Permanently moving outside your plan’s coverage area
  • Gaining citizenship or lawful presence in the U.S.
  • Gaining or continuing status as a member of an Indian tribe or an Alaska Native shareholder. Members of federally recognized Indian tribes and Alaska native shareholders can sign up for or change plans once per month throughout the year.
  • Leaving incarceration
  • Having a change in income or household status that affects eligibility for premium tax credits or cost-sharing reductions

What do I need to do if I Need to change my plan?

  • REPORT THE CHANGE: If you purchased a Humana insurance plan through the Health Insurance MarketPlace and/or are receiving financial assistance through the Affordable Care Act (ACA) you must report the life change that qualifies you for a Special Enrollment Period on your Marketplace application and then enroll in your new plan:
    • Log in to your Marketplace account
    • Select your current application
    • Select “Report a life change” from the menu on the left
    • Select the “Report a life change” button
    • Update your application with changes to your income, household members, new health coverage offers, and other information
  • ENROLL IN A NEW PLAN: You’ll get new eligibility results. Make sure you finish all steps on the to-do list to complete your new enrollment
  • If you purchased a Humana insurance plan through Humana directly, you can call 1-800-833-6917 to speak to a customer care representative about your change to see if you qualify for a special enrollment period.